Friday, April 30, 2010

Endings

A friend and I had a disagreement and exchanged some heated words.  She unfriended me on Facebook and cut off communication.

Normally, this would be the kind of thing that I beat myself up about for days on end. I would internalize this as a message that I am inherently unlovable and not worth the effort of reconciliation.

Today I choose to respond differently.  Today, I choose to let her go and I am trying to do so with grace. 

Some friendships are not of the life-long sort.  I tend to hold on to people and try to work things out long after there is any mutual joy left in the relationship.  Today, I am recognizing that endings are painful for me, but they are a necessary part of life.  I will let her go and focus my energy and love on those friends who are in it for the long haul.  I will try to focus on this being about her unwillingness to work things out and not on my worth as a person.

I choose to wish her well and let her go.

How do you handle the inevitable endings in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Often, I think, what we see as an ending isn't an ending at all, but a recognition that something is already gone. Viewing it that way can make a difference, because it seems less like a decision, less like letting something go...there's no real change except in your acknowledgment of the fact that a change took place some time in the past--or that a relationship was never what you hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete